Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Leadership in hard times

It is much easier to be a leader when times are good, when business is plentiful, when the sky seems the limit. The strains put on a leader in bad times are much greater, and this is where you you separate the leadership wheat from the chaff.

A co-worker of mine sent me a newsletter that had a great article on how to lead when times are hard. I hunted around a bit to get the corresponding web page for this article so I could share it. If you are leading people in a company highly recommend that you read this article. If you are not responsible for leading anyone, read this article.

When Macadamian recently had to make some hard decisions, I agonized on how to communicate this to the teams that worked with me. I spent hours thinking about how to effectively communicate the rationale, the plan, and how we can together move forward and succeed. It was the hardest thing I have ever done and I am glad I spent the time to prepare for it.

Is your company experiencing hard times? What are you doing to be an effective leader during this time? What behaviors have you changed?

No comments: