Friday, September 5, 2008

When the need for UX expertise is all too clear



When I saw this I felt a great disturbance in the UX Force, as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly clawed out their eyeballs. With apologies to Star Wars.

I was using a new piece of software the other day for my other "job", and when I launched a particular feature this lovely pop-up above came up much to my amusement and eventual annoyance.

There are so many things wrong with this dialog to really discuss in depth, but suffice it to say this dialog is launched every single time this feature is launched. Every. Single. Time. And the the question never changes.

In the workflow this pop-up is followed by another pop-up that intones an important message.



It is so important that they always show it. Every. Single. Time. In fact it is so important they even truncate the message so that it doesn't all show on the message box. So you don't even get to read the entire message! That's just how important it is. After all, you can't handle the truth.

With thousands of people being mandated by regulations to use this application I guess you don't need a good user experience. I mean, who likes their users to enjoy working anyway? End sarcasm.

For those of you who are dying to ask what happens when you hit "5", I did. And this was the result.



I kid you not. Seriously, I am not making this up. I am not allowed to make this up. And the admin dialog you get after this message box is still in English. And that admin dialog is still the same admin dialog you get if you answer correctly.

I am not sure what this is supposed to imply. :)

1 comment:

Matt Hately said...

Oh my...

There should be a UX Hall Of Shame for this sort of thing.